1. Home
  2. Aftercare
  3. My Future Plan (Pathway Planning)
  4. Documents and accounts that you should have

Documents and accounts that you should have

It is essential that as a part of the early support for young people as they approach adulthood and prepare for leaving care that young people have access to the identification and accounts that are required in adulthood.

The following list of documents and accounts should be considered for all young people experiencing care before they leave their placement. Details are provided below of how to obtain these directly.

Given the importance of these documents, consideration is required about the safe and secure storage of passwords and documents.

If you need help accessing any of the items below, you can speak to someone working with you and ask for their support, or contact the aftercare hub by clicking on the following email link: IntensiveServicesGeneralAdmin@northlan.gov.uk

Copy of your Birth Certificate

This can be obtained from local Registry Office

To make an appointment or enquiry, contact your local office below by telephone or email.  The birth certificate can be paid for over the phone using a payment card and will usually be posted first class. If you require support to obtain a copy of your birth certificate, you can ask your worker about this.

Airdrie – call 01236 758080, email registrars-airdrie@northlan.gov.uk

Cumbernauld – call 01236 632740, email registrars-cumbernauld@northlan.gov.uk

Motherwell – call 01698 302206, email registrars-motherwell@northlan.gov.uk

National Insurance Number

If you don’t have a NI number this could be because when someone makes a claim for Child Benefit, the child for whom the claim is being made is allocated a Child Reference Number (CRN). When a child reaches the age of 15 years and 9 months, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) use this number to assign that child with a NI Number and send it to them.

Young people experiencing care may not have an active Child Benefit claim in place for HMRC to generate or send out notification of NI number, therefore their workers or carer can apply on their behalf or a young person can apply for this directly.

You can check your personal tax account online. It lets you see lots of useful things like your National Insurance Number, how much tax you’re paying, and information about your future State Pension. You can also update your address and claim a tax refund. You can sign up on the HMRC website.

If you don’t receive your NI Number, or can’t find it, you can contact HMRC.  Or call this HMRC number: 0300 200 3500.  HMRC will not tell you your National Insurance number over the phone. They’ll post it to you and it’ll arrive within 15 working days.

www.gov.uk AccountThis is a single sign-on solution for government websites. It enables people to log in to services from various government agencies using the same username and password. You can register through the following link: www.gov.uk

Young Scot Card – Is a card that is free to young people 11-26 year and living in Scotland. You can use a Young Scot Card as proof of identity, receive discounts in shops and other venues across Scotland and to access a free bus pass (under 22years).

Contact the North Lanarkshire Young Scot team on 01236 812586 or Email youngscot@northlan.gov.uk stating your name, address and date of birth (if you want to update your photo, please also attach a passport-style image and they will arrange that for you).

Travel Pass – You can request your Young Scot card with free bus travel (under 22 years) or use this link to apply directly: Young Persons’ (Under 22s) Free Bus Travel – Young Scot

Passport Apply online for a UK passport – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) or you can pick up passport application forms from your local Post Office and apply by post.

Bank Account – All young people experiencing care should have a bank account.  If a young person does not already have a bank account, their allocated worker or carer should help them to open an account or this can be applied for directly by a young person.  Most banks and building societies offer basic accounts for young people with a range of banking services including online banking.  A new bank account can be applied for online and the young person can then attend the bank with their identity documents to have the account opened.

Updated on March 10, 2024
Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Skip to content Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.