1. Home
  2. Aftercare
  3. Money Matters
  4. Housing expenditure to maintain my home

Housing expenditure to maintain my home

To maintain your home there will be certain items you will need to budget for and set up payment.

Paying your rent

Paying your rent on time is important. You will be given information on how to pay your rent and when it is due to be paid. If you are getting benefits that include money to pay your rent, you can request that this is paid direct to the landlord and this will ensure your rent is paid. You can find more information about paying your rent on the following link: Paying your Rent

Housing Advisors are available to help you. We understand things happen that can cause you to fall behind with your rent. If this happens, it is important to contact your Housing Advisor as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances.   We have Income Maximisers who can help manage your income effectively, make applications for benefits and grants to help you.

Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax paid to the local authority for all occupied properties. If your home is occupied exclusively by you, then the home is exempt from Council Tax until you are 26 years. If the property is shared with others who are not care leavers then a partial discount may be available. The following link takes you to the North Lanarkshire web site that explains who is entitled to a discount: NL Council Tax Exemptions and Discounts

It is important that you update the council if there are changes to who is living in your home. The council will also write to you each year to get an annual update and it is important that you respond to this.

Gas and Electric

You will need to arrange for a provider for gas and or electricity for your home. A Housing Advisor or another support worker can help you look into the best options for you.

TV Licence

If you watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need a TV Licence. If you watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), or use BBC iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. You can access further information and pay for your TV licence through the following link: TV Licence – TV Licensing ™

Social Work can support you to purchase your TV licence for the first year and then you will need to pay for this.


If you want to have internet access set up in your home, you will need to identify a provider that you will be required to pay for this. A Housing Advisor or another support worker can help you look into the best options for you.

Updated on October 6, 2023
Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Skip to content Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.